How can I get my nonprofit set up with PayPal to accept donations?
To accept donations for your charity through PayPal you should first sign-up for a PayPal account or upgrade your existing account to a PayPal Business account.
To upgrade your account:
- Go to Settings.
- Under 'Account options', click Change to a Business account and follow the on-screen steps.
- Once you upgrade you'll be able to manage your PayPal account under your company's name, add additional users with separate login information and access rights, and take advantage of the wide range of other benefits of a PayPal business account.
- You need to include a contact name on your Business account
- Your business name appears on all PayPal payments and emails
- Your account retains all of the transaction records and history.
Create the account using the charity or organisation name, with the name of a specific person added as a contact for the account. Choose ‘Non-profit’ as the business category when signing up.
To get the discounted charity rate for your organisation, we need to confirm your charity account. You can begin the confirmation process on our Charities page. You will need to provide information to prove that:
- Your organisation is legally registered with the appropriate regulatory body
- You are a representative of that organisation.
To create a Donate button:
- Go to your PayPal buttons app in your App Center.
- Click Get started.
- Click the Donate tile and fill up the form.
The benefits of a Donate button:
- You receive payments by credit card or bank account.
- You don't pay any monthly fees, start-up fees, or cancelation fees.