Are there any tips for creating a secure password?
Having a secure, unique password for each of your online accounts is critically important. If a scammer gets just one password, they can begin to access your other accounts. That’s why it’s important to have a strong, unique password for your PayPal login.
A strong password should have the following characteristics:
- More than 8 characters long
- Use lower case, upper case, a number, and a special character [like ~!@#$%^&*()_+=?><.,/]
- Not a word or date associated with you (like a pet’s name, family names, or birth dates)
- A combination of words with unusual capitalisation, numbers, and special characters interspersed. Misspelled words are stronger because they are not in the dictionary used by attackers
- Something you can remember.
How often should I change my password?
We recommend you change your password and security questions from time to time. There are a few cases where it's a good precaution, for example:
- You notice something suspicious on your PayPal account
- You suspect that someone you don’t trust has your password
- You notice something suspicious in your email account or other online accounts
- You have recently removed malware from your system
- PayPal asks you to change your password.
If one of these occurs, change your Password and Security Questions and/or PIN immediately.
If you receive an email asking you to change your password, it could be a case of phishing. Instead of clicking on a suspect link in an email, just log into your PayPal account by manually typing the URL.